If you are looking for a classy European style wedding venue without leaving the US then look no further than Castle Hill at the Crane Estate. This elegant property will have you feeling all the Gatsby vibes on your wedding day. Lately the Crane Estate had it’s most recent feature in the newest film adaptation of “Little Women” acting as the backdrop for the France location scenes.
The Great House atop Castle Hill (also known as Agawam by indigenous peoples) was built in 1928 by architect David Adler, but the property itself was purchased in 1910 by Richard T. Crane, Jr. Sitting on 2,100 acres, this Stuart-style hilltop mansion holds 59 rooms and offers limited tours to the public through the Trustees Reservations. Even if you don’t get married at the Crane Estate, this property would make an A+ location for a picnic date in Massachusetts.
HOW MUCH DOES A WEDDING AT THE CRANE ESTATE COST? CHECK OUT EACH SECTION BELOW
Castle Hill at the Crane Estate Wedding Venue Options:
A Wedding at The Great House
– Wedding ceremonies: take place on the lawn overlooking the half-mile-long Grand Allée.
– Cocktail Hour: You have exclusive use of the Allée Terrace in addition to the first floor of The Great House.
– Dinner: Your reception will take place under a beautiful sail cloth tent located just off the ballroom East Terrace.
– Guest Limit: Events at The Great House can accommodate up to 250 guests.
– Rental Period: 5-hour rental period, beginning no earlier than 6pm, with an option to extend the rental up to one hour. Events must conclude by 12am.
– The Great House Crane Estate wedding cost (2024 Season May-October pricing):
The Great House & Tent Venue Fee is $8,500 for Friday or Sunday and $11,500 for a Saturday or holiday weekend (and requires a $165 Trustees Reservation Supporting Membership).
If you desire ceremony set ups then the Grand Allee fee is $1000 ( Includes White Garden Chairs ) and the Italian Garden set up fee is $1500 + Chair Rental Cost/Delivery.
The 2024 Food & Beverage minimums for the Great House is $18,000 for Friday or Sunday and $25,000 for a Saturday or holiday Sunday (150 guest min.). This excludes tax, administrative fee, and gratuity. You can find the full Great House wedding package information here.
A police detail is also required for events at The Great House and is $350.
Overtime: Each additional 30 minutes of added event time is $1000 (increments until midnight)
A Wedding at The Crane Estate’s Barn
If you’d love to have a wedding at the Crane Estate, but picture a more rustic style for your wedding then the Italian style barn is a great option. You can find all the package information for a barn wedding at the Crane Estate here.
– Wedding ceremonies: take place in the beautiful vegetable garden
– Guest Limit: Events at The Barn can accommodate up to 130 guests for seated dinner.
– Rental Period: 5-hour rental period, from 5-10pm.
The Barn at the Crane Estate wedding cost (2023-2024 Season Info): The Barn Venue Fee is $3,800 for Friday, Saturday, or Sunday and requires a $165 Trustees Reservation Supporting Membership (Vegetable Garden Ceremony Setup Fee is $500 if desired). The 2023-2024 Food & Beverage minimums for the Barn is $14,000. This excludes tax, administrative fee, and gratuity. You can find the full barn wedding package information here.
A wedding at Steep Hill Beach
If you picture a seaside celebration with lawn games and a lobster bake then Crane Estate’s Steep Hill Beach might be the best fit for you! Catered exclusively by Fireside Catering, the Steep Hill Beach rental season runs from May- October.
– Wedding ceremonies: You may choose between the North Lawn (overlooks Crane Beach, the Atlantic Ocean, and Plum Island) for a waterfront ceremony and the South Lawn which provides direct access to the beach
– Guest Limit: Groups of 200 or less may rent one lawn. Larger groups require rental of both lawns. Groups of 500 or more can be accommodated with approval.
– Rental period: 5 Hour Rental Period from 11AM-4PM. One hour of overtime permitted. Overtime fee is $225 for an hour.
The Steep Hill Beach at the Crane Estate wedding cost (2023 Season May-October pricing): The Steep Hill Beach Venue Fee is $900 for the North Lawn Monday-Thursday and $1225 for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and holidays (same pricing goes for the South Lawn).
The 2021 Food & Beverage minimums is $1500 Monday-Thursday, and $6,500 Friday-Sunday or a holiday. This excludes tax, administrative fee, and gratuity. You can find the full Steep Hill Beach wedding package information here.
Crane Estate Wedding Contact Information:
Address: 290 Argilla Rd, Ipswich, MA 01938
I’d love to photograph your Castle Hill wedding at the Crane Estate! Shoot me a message in my contact form here to inquire about availability for your Massachusetts wedding.